September 21, 2010

Follow Up On Tillage


Our summer garden project was quiet an experience. I took advice from many people about getting the proper soil, but in the end I kind of did my own thing with a mixture of the ideas. I wanted to make it as inexpensive as possible so I found a local compost center and we got free compost to add to the red Oklahoma clay/dirt. We were out of pocket $10 for a load the second time we went back, which filled an entire trailer bed. So, not bad! I bought a rain barrel ($40) to help water and cut cost watering, unfortunally we did not have much rain. Another thing I added to my soil mixture was coffee grounds, which a local business saved for me and I added them as I got them. The grounds have a lot of nutrients that are helpful to the plants, which I posted about in an earlier post. I planted a variety of things, peppers, onion, carrots, broccolli, lettuce, cucumber, squash, tomatoes and cilantro. Some of which did much better than the others. My best plants were the peppers, squash and cucumbers...the others not so good this time. This was definetly a learning experience as a first time gardener. I will now know more about what to do next year, so even though I was not thrilled with how it all turned out in the end, I did learn what works and what doesnt. I also learned that a garden takes a lot of work! I will keep you updated on what I think worked and what was a waste of time or money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment